Monday, July 27, 2009

Help with a toga party?

My friends are throwing a toga party for the end of the school year. I need help with making my toga:



1) What would be the best color fabric to use for someone with olive skin, brown eyes, and dark brunette hair?



2) I've seen instructions for wrapping togas online, but the instructions for women are much more vague than those for men. How can I wrap my toga so it covers what needs to be covered, is somewhat "sexy" without being trashy, and will STAY ON?



Help with a toga party?

In history, only loose women wore a toga as that is really a men-only garment. To make the woman's dress, sew two long rectangles of fabric together up the sides, leaving a gap at the top of each side for an armhole. Sew the tops of the shoulder seams, leaving a space for your head, hem around the space. Alternatively, join shoulder seams together with a large, jewel-like button every 4"-6" so there are little gaps all the way up each arm, or just join on each shoulder and leave the excess to drape down at each side. Belt at the waist and pouch a little. Wear with a "stola", which is just what it sounds like, a long stole.



Women's clothing should be floor-length and the hair is worn up.



You can add trim on any of these.



There was a strict hierarchy of colour to have each toga (different colour for ordinary citizens, nobility and priests) but I doubt it would be relevant to any but a purist



.



Help with a toga party?

a red or olive color toga would be good it sounds like.... sorry I don't know how to wrap a toga, the times i've been to these parties someone else told me how to do it.



Help with a toga party?

This is the only help I can give: Years ago I was a mummy for Hallowe'en and I used strips of linen from the backs of old curtains. A friend held them together using a hot glue gun (I wore a white t-shirt and cut-off long john bottoms underneath).



The hot glue worked great. I'd use it to fasten the toga at the shoulders and the sides. If I remember, none of my wrappings came a part, and even my fingers were individually wrapped. Best costume ever!



Help with a toga party?

a whitesh gold color. and my friend for halloween wrapped her toga around her up area then went down a little below her belly button and wraped till it was lik long enough to be a mini skirt, and then she safty pinned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment